Monday, March 01, 2010

great expectations

i need one of those venture capital loans. is that the right word? yes. i googled it.
to make cute things for all and sell them at farmer's markets would justify my time spent on crafts.
this little number was a fun challenge. my first use of the come-to-find-out infamous jelly roll. this is what it looks like when you buy it. precut. presorted. sister: "doesn't that go against everything you believe in?" me: "yes. but time is a merciless master." i had a week. and the lady at the quilting store (who has a sick obsession with tiny perfectly-sewn and aligned little jewel quilt square thingies) made it sound super easy. yay! right? super frustrating was this one. i think expectations can make or kill a project.
so i purchased a jelly roll. actually a deal for the amount of measuring, cutting and coordinating it cuts out. a great way to make your first quilt. there are books and books written on the (cheater) method. suffice it to say i used none of them. books? instructions? whaaa???
so the (second) pattern i turned out is to the right here. (we won't go into the first. it's a subject of bitterness. and annoyance. like i mentioned. the lady made it sound easy. such it is with the ways of the geniuses.)  36x48. machine washable cotton. moda's look and learn by american jane. the backing is a black print. done in a week. well... it would've been a week if the machine hadn't fritzed out.  another subject of bitterness. i was very pleased with the result. i think the sweet boy it was for liked it, too!
but back to the venture capital thing. i mostly want to make tops for girls and ladies for the summer. (it gets warm here, if i remember correctly.) fashionable ones with much spunk. i'll take orders now. for the two of you that read my blog. ha-ha! 

6 comments:

Josh said...

You can totally make me a summer top.

Josh

Mrs. Roehl said...

I'm with Josh...make me one with spunk, whatever that's supposed to mean. And be sure that it's appropo for an ol' lady.

Steve said...

I'll take a top with spaghetti straps please. As for colors... I'm more of a "fall".

Charissa said...

My girl needs a replica of that cutest dress you put on that cutest girl. 2T.

Marge Malwitz said...

hey jess-I'm on & having fun reading your life :D

Jo said...

The problem with crafts is you never seem to break even. Maybe my problem is that I feel like I put a little of my heart into everything I make, so the idea of selling it seems . . . almost vulgar or something. (I'm not sure if that's the word I wanted, but it'll do for now.) If we ever live in the same place again though, I would love to do crafts with you. I have an extra sewing machine for when the first one goes. ;c)